Design team member of Alpha Stamps, lover of ephemera and junk.

Welcome! Grab a cold one, kick off your shoes, and have a look around.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Freezer Paper Stenciling

There is nothing better for stenciling than freezer paper! You can find it in your grocery store near the foil and plastic bags. All you have to do is cut your desired image out, and then iron the shiny side down to whatever you wish to stencil. Once you paint the image, the paper peels off easily.

Here's what I made this weekend. I have a few Georgia Bulldog t-shirts, but they're all short sleeved. I've been wanting one to wear in colder weather, but I'm so picky! I wanted a grey long sleeved shirt with just a simple logo on it. I looked everywhere for the perfect shirt, but finally decided to make my own. It only took a couple of hours to cut out the design and apply the paint. It was done and ready for gameday this weekend. Go Dawgs!
I painted the entire area white first, and then masked off the areas that were to remain white or red, and painted in the black. The red areas were painted by hand after the black paint was dry.

Here's another shirt stenciled using freezer paper. For this one, I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out the type. Perfect lettering every time! I just use regular acrylic paints, and apply sparingly. After painting, heat set the image using a heat gun. Or, just pop the shirt in the dryer. I also like to wash the shirts before wearing, as it takes the stiffness out of the painted areas.
On this shirt, I painted in the large red X first, and then layered the "acto" part over the X and painted it and the friendly warning below. This shirt was part of a Superhero costume. What? You've never heard of X-acto? You can see my giant blade weapon here.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...